Collaborative business leader with a passion for helping technology companies grow. Multi-functional growth expertise across Marketing, Sales, and Business Development. Proven ability to ramp up quickly on new products and technologies. MBA, former engineer & entrepreneur, and enemy of the status quo. Enjoy being hands-on and getting stuff done.
First business hire at multiple high-growth companies where I’ve opened new offices and built out Marketing and Sales teams from scratch. Most recently, at AppZen, a fast-growing Artificial Intelligence SaaS solution for enterprise spending compliance, I ran all growth activities including Marketing, Partnerships, and Sales Operations. Highlights include growing the company from 5 to 50+ employees, expanding our customer base of enterprise clients from single to triple-digits, personally sourcing AppZen’s two largest deals, and securing key distribution partnerships with global leaders such as SAP.
Previously, I led Marketing for 20+ technology product launches at Fortune 100 companies, covering all aspects from strategy and planning to the creation and execution of integrated multi-channel marketing campaigns.
I’m actively involved in the tech startup world, as a mentor at leading startup accelerators and advisor to several startups and Venture Capital funds.
- Brand Management
- Business Development
- Business Strategy
- Competitive Analysis
- Cross-functional Team Leadership
- Customer Insight
- Go-to-market Strategy
- Lead Generation
- Market Research
- Marketing Communications
- Marketing Strategy
- Product Launch
- Product Management
- Product Marketing
- Strategic Partnerships
MBA Marketing at University of Michigan
• Graduated with Highest Distinction
• Awarded merit-based Kiplinger Foundation & MBA Academic Scholarships
Bachelor of Science Mechanical Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
• Graduated Cum Laude; Dean’s List every semester
• National Merit Scholar
• Minor in Economics
April 2016 June 2018
Head of Marketing and Business Development at AppZen, Inc.
• Employee #4 and first business hire. Built the Marketing team from scratch while growing the company from 5 to 50+ employees
• Grew our customer base of enterprise clients from single to triple-digits and ARR over 20x from $xxxK to $xxM
• Personally sourced AppZen’s two largest deals (Amazon and Salesforce) worth over $1M ARR
• Evaluated, negotiated, and implemented key distribution partnerships with global industry leaders, including SAP Concur and Coupa. The SAP Concur partnership is Concur’s first-ever reseller partnership and is on track to deliver tens of millions in revenue in year one
• The Amazon deal and Concur partnership were the catalysts for securing AppZen’s $13M Series A funding round and putting AppZen on track for 500%+ y/y revenue growth and positioning for Series B
• Implemented a scalable growth platform to drive and close inbound & outbound qualified leads. Also responsible for messaging strategy, PR, website, SEO, social, email, paid digital, blogging, content creation & distribution, and analyst relations (resulted in Gartner Cool Vendor 2018, 2018 Forbes Cloud 100 Rising Star, and multiple other industry awards)
April 2014 October 2015
VP Sales and Business Development at Drippler, Inc.
As the first business hire of this fast-growing Series-A funded mobile startup, I opened the US office and built the Sales team & processes, sales stack, and B2B Marketing efforts from the ground floor.
March 2014 June 2016
MBA Career Advisor at University of California, Berkeley, Haas School of Business
Adjunct industry advisor providing Haas MBA students & alumni with 1-1 and group advising on their career search in the technology & startup fields
Consulting CMO and Growth Advisor at CV
• Providing startups with guidance and hands-on assistance with business model & growth strategy, product & customer development, business development, and all aspects of Marketing
• Experience working with companies from the US, Poland, Romania, Australia, Ireland, Israel, Korea, and the UK
• Mentor at leading startup accelerators and advisor to multiple seed-stage to Series-A startups
August 2012 March 2014
Business Development at Samsung Electronics
• Established on-going relationships with prominent startup accelerators, including 500 Startups, Boost.vc, and TechStars
• Identify and enable business partnerships, focused on bringing innovations from startups to Samsung: Evaluated 250+ startups in 6 months and introduced 18 to the Samsung Open Innovation & Business Unit teams. Navigated startups through the Samsung organizational maze of 20+ Biz Dev & Venture Fund teams in Silicon Valley
• Produced hi-quality deal flow with strong hit rate for Samsung engagement: (1) signed partnership, (1) active due diligence, but acquired by competitor, (3) in active due diligence, and (3) continue under active investigation
June 2011 August 2012
Group Manager, Product Planning at Samsung Electronics
• Delivered MemCon 2012 presentation to 200+ attendees: “Navigating the Post-PC World”
• Led Product Planning team for DRAM products: covering PC, Server, Data Center, Cloud, Graphics, High Performance Computing (HPC), Digital TV, and Networking applications. Aligned future product portfolio with emerging technology trends and end-device user needs
• Drove industry-first non-[major CPU mfg] supported memory solution to be adopted by multiple OEMs. Developed product-market fit, established customer relationships, and identified & connected appropriate resources to enable productive discussions
February 2008 June 2011
Sr. Marketing Manager at Dell, Inc.
Directed Brand Management team accountable for growth of $560M Gaming PC business. Responsibilities spanned all channels (eCommerce, Phone, Retail) and full Marketing Mix, including assortment, messaging, pricing, promotions, and integrated marketing campaigns
• “Vice-President Award” for outstanding performance
• “Manager of the Quarter”
• MarketingSherpa Gold Award: “Best Opt-In / List Growth Campaign”
• Chosen to lead Global Marketing team for expansion of acquired Alienware business from 6 countries to 75. Project spanned all global regions and 20+ functions, culminating in the largest global product marketing campaign ever for Dell Consumer: a 7-month, multi-phase, integrated global campaign, including a number of “Dell first” marketing innovations, 10+ partnerships, and global events at E3, Tokyo Game Show, and CES. Campaigns achieved growth targets and exceeded margin forecasts
• Led team in planning & execution of 10 product launches, including integrated advertising, eCommerce, social media, partnerships, PR, sales training, and launch events
April 2007 February 2008
Sr. Marketing Brand Manager at Dell, Inc.
Promoted to manage team in formulation and execution of integrated marketing strategies for $400M+ premium-brand laptop portfolio. Owned all aspects of Marketing Mix, including product positioning, price/promotion roadmaps, and marketing and advertising plans
• Led cross-functional go-to-market teams for six new product launches. Delivered integrated marketing, advertising, eCommerce, social media, PR, sales training, and launch events
• Grew unit sales 94% y/y and drove brand portfolio’s unit mix from 8% to 27%
April 2006 April 2007
Marketing Brand Manager at Dell, Inc.
Owned development and execution of all integrated Marketing, eCommerce, and Merchandising strategies to exceed sales forecasts for $840M premium-brand PC portfolio
• Department “MVP Award” for outstanding performance
• Led launch of all-new flagship premium PC. Developed and executed multi-vehicle integrated marketing campaign, including pioneering Dell’s first “teaser” social media campaign and CES launch with Michael Dell keynote. Resulted in sales 3x above forecast
March 2005 April 2006
Global Marketing Manager at Dell, Inc.
• Directed global cross-functional teams to define, develop, and deploy new technology and IT services for Consumer and Small Business markets
• Orchestrated department’s first-ever market research roadmap & process, resulting in effective prioritization and management of $800K research budget
February 2003 March 2005
Consumer Marketing Associate Manager at Best Buy Corporation
• Conceived and implemented annual Marketing strategies for multiple Consumer Electronics categories; managed $3.5M budget and executed integrated retail marketing campaigns across all consumer touch points and advertising & eCommerce vehicles. Campaigns drove sales lifts of 16% – 39% and all-time high market shares
• Led development of consumer-friendly, usage-based, PC rating system; including, managing consumer insights, program naming/logo, and Marketing across all communication channels
• Awarded “Best Buy Pillar of Excellence” for leading team of ten Associates in creation of orientation, training, and mentoring programs for new MBA Marketing Associates
• Press mentions for innovative use of Social Media within an integrated campaign: “Best Buy wins 2.7M hits on movie trailer/Web site synergy”; “Basketball Cheerleader – Viral Marketing at its Best”
• Managed business intelligence analysts to identify consumer, competitive, and technology insights to drive Marketing strategy, advertising messaging, and merchandising decisions
• Promoted to Strategy Manager to lead development of a new strategy for selling technology based on customer usage models
September 2000 February 2003
Co-Founder at WalkAbout Wireless, Inc.
July 1994 August 2000
Sr. Product Engineer at Ford Motor Company